Friday, October 2, 2015



WIEN-VIENNA-DUNAJ



When you actually live in Vienna you can see that there is not all just about schnitzel, Sachertorte and classical music. There is more, much more. I can not really explain how I became from not-a-fan to a girl that is in love with that city. Vienna is a city that integrates anything and anyone but still I felt safer than in my home village.




Picture 1: Lights in Vienna


CEEPUS

CEEPUS is a inter-university cooperation and mobility programme for students and lecturers. In this programme Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech, Kosovo, Hungary, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia and Slovakia participate. The student exchange is in the framework of university networks.



Picture 2: Slovenian students on Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna


I have been awarded with a 3-months CEEPUS scholarship on BOKU - University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences. The scholarship covers accommodation, health and accident insurance and all tuition fees. The condition is to complete the mobility report a month before leaving.


Picture 3: Party in Pratersauna

BOKU

The University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences has more than 10,000 students and is located on several sites in Vienna and the suburban area. I have been studying in the Department for Landscape, Spatial and Infrastructure Sciences. I have chosen courses not just from that field of study but also from others I was interested in. So, for example I took courses like Fish farming and aquaculture, Rural tourism, Traffic and transport planning, Project management, International agriculture and so on. I had all my classes in English so my low knowledge of German language was not a problem.

Picture 4: BOKU student card


Picture 5: Winemaking class


ACCOMMODATION, TRANSPORT, FOOD

I lived in the apartment with three Austrian guys called Michael, Martin and Peter (in the last month instead of him, Alfons). Rent that included all additional expenses was 300 euros. That was lower that most of other exchange students were paying (most of them 400 euros and up). My flat was a 5-minutes walk from Westbahnhof (big railway station) in 15 district called Rudolfsheim-Fünfhaus.

To get to Vienna I took a ride with a van I found on the internet. I paid 20 euros for the ride from Ljubljana to Vienna, which is much cheaper than the train that costs up from 40 euros for one way and much more than just 4 hours of travelling. Transport in Vienna is very well organized. For 150 euros students can buy a semester ticket that is valid for buses, trams, underground, etc. And even more, if you come to Vienna before the first September the semester ticket is half-priced.

Prices of food in most shops are similar that in Slovenia. But on the other side, prices in restaurants and bars are much higher. For example, the wiener schnitzel costs around 15 euros, coffee and beer up from 3 euros , … For me the biggest challenge was with coffee, because my daily habit in Portorož was drinking coffee in a café and then I suddenly came to a city ion which the price of coffee was not 1,20 euros but 3 or 4 times more expensive.

Picture 6: Sacher coffe



WHAT NOT TO MISS IN VIENNA

1. Belvedere in the spring

2. Eating pork in Schweizerhaus (Prater)

3. Open air concert in Schönbrunn

4. Steiermarkdorf

5. Hiking on Kahlenberg

6. Rapidlauf

7. Coffe in Jonas Reindl


No comments:

Post a Comment