Wednesday, January 20, 2016


I WISH I WAS IN FINLAD


Why did you choose this area for student exchange?


This is the most common question Finns asked me when I told them I am an Erasmus student at Laurea Kerava. And as a matter of fact, even Slovenians didn't understand my decision. Cold and expensive, - those are usually the first thoughts when people think about Finland. And they are quite true. However, there are just so many things that make Finland such an interesting country and I wanted to explore them myself.

Opinion about faculty?

Finland is known for its best education system in the world and now I understand why. Professors are very friendly, professional, they speak English very well, and they act as if they are equal to students. We had to call them by their name, which was a bit odd at the beginning, but eventually we got used to it. There was a lot of individual work (reports, assignments), discussions about a certain topic and group presentations.

All the campuses of Laurea University of Applied Sciences are pretty modern and they are located not for away from Helsinki.

Stereotypes, first impression and reality?

I expected to be cold in Finland, but wearing winter boots and winter coat in the end of September was not what I imagined. But you get used to the cold and you can still enjoy the nature as long as it doesn't rain. I also knew that the prices are going to be much higher than in Slovenia, but I (along with my wallet) was shocked when I went to the stores to buy groceries. And I couldn't even think about buying a bottle of wine in Finland, because it was cheaper to go to Tallin in Estonia and buy some.

I was told that Finns are very shy and introverted. That is somehow true, but once you start talking to them you will realize that they are very friendly, funny and open-minded.

I did not expect Finnish people to be that open and willing to help. They are very good at English, which is a big plus if you want to live in this country and you are not interested in learning Finnish. I tried learning it myself and I think that you need a lot of patience and practice to speak it fluently.


Local culture & habits?

First I would like to mention the sauna – probably the best thing you want to enjoy every evening. You can find them in every household and some business buildings. I had the opportunity to go to the sauna every week just to get relaxed and warm. And it feels even better when you try sauna + rolling in the snow, sauna + dipping in a frozen lake or sauna+ swimming in the Arctic Ocean.


Places & activities?

There are a lot of things to do in Finland, but unfortunately mostly too expensive for students. Though visiting Helsinki and its island Suomenlinna, Nuuksio national park, Porvoo and of course Lapland is a must! There is a chance to find cheap tickets for buses (Onnibus) or trips organized for Erasmus students. You can find affordable offers for ferries and trips to Stockholm (Sweden), Saint Petersburg (Russia) and Tallin (Estonia) as well.


Accommodation?

The easiest (and probably the cheapest) way to get accommodation in Helsinki region is to apply to HOAS. It's a company that provides accommodation mostly for international students.

I lived in Vantaa (which is not even in Helsinki) and i paid 400 EUR per month for my own room. Despite the price, the location and furniture were good.

Nightlife?

You will never see as many people in Helsinki as during the early mornings on Saturday and Sunday. There are many clubs, bars and private Erasmus parties where you can spend the night. Unfortunately, all the clubs and bars close at 3.30 or 4.00 a.m. at latest, and you usually have to wait for a bus or train until 5.00 a.m.. Yet again, the city is full of students and there is always a chance to meet new people and still have a great time.

The entrance fees are usually 5 EUR or more and you have to pay for the cloak room another 3 EUR. Drinks are pretty expensive so I suggest everyone to start drinking before going to a party.

Culinary & student meals?

There is a cafeteria where they serve meals in every Laurea campus and also in the main cafeteria in Helsinki for not more than 3 EUR with the student card. Potatoes and fish are most common in Finnish cuisine. In my opinion, some food can be a bit uncommon, such as salmiakki (salted liquorice) or mämmi (dessert made of rye flour and it’s eaten with milk or cream and sugar) and there are so many delicious dishes such as salmon, reindeer meat, karjalanpiirakka, leipäjuusto (squeaky cheese) and so many others that are worth to try.



Transport?

Public transportation is very well organized all around Helsinki region. Trains go at least every 10 minutes to Helsinki, as well as buses and trams. In the city centre you can use the underground.

Costs?

Nordic countries are known for their high prices, and Finland is no exception. The Erasmus grant barely covers the rent (if you live in Helsinki region that is), food, transportation card, trips etc. are much more expensive compared to Slovenia.

Pros & cons?

Despite the cold, mostly grey weather, high prices and darkness during the winter, Finland offers a wide array of experiences and education of the highest standard.


Manuela Mitrić

No comments:

Post a Comment