Monday, January 28, 2013

Malaga rules!!!


When I was choosing my area for student exchange, I can say that I had a wish, a wish that came true. I wanted to spend my student exchange in Málaga, Spain. It wasn’t difficult for me, because I have been travelling around Spain and I found a place, a place that felt like home. That was Málaga. Málaga, Ciudad Genial. 

An interesting experience for me was finding my new university. University of Malaga is divided in two parts, or should I say two campuses. Campus el Ejido, that is smaller and campus Teatinos that is bigger than my home town. To get to the campus I have to take a bus and it takes me approximation 20 minutes to arrive. The first day it was confusing because I didn't know my way around but everybody was so nice and wanted to help when I was seeking for information. Finally after walking around for quite some time, I found the international office, where Erasmus students had a meeting. The meeting was very helpful, they explained all the necessary steps concerning the entry and rules regarding their university and also about Spanish culture. I must say that at the beginning of the classes I didn't understand much – the classes are in Spanish and take place at the same with Spanish students. It excited me that the professors are very understanding and try to explain the lectures as many times that is needs so that everybody understands the topic of discussion, even if that means that the professor will have to explain the same thing all over again, but each time on different examples. 

As I have been travelling around Spain and got to know the culture and customs a little bit, so I knew what to expect but I can say that even today I didn't get used to their way of life. Spanish people are an inspiration to me. We all know about the impacts of the crisis in Spain and I can say that I started to feel the pressure of it, but they are very positive and open minded people that will take any excuse to do fiesta and enjoy life with a smile on their face. Spanish people know how to enjoy and live a full life.


If you go to Spain you have to know that when you are in Spain you live by the Spanish rules. Have you ever heard about siesta? Well siesta sounds great, but when you have urgent stuff to do – make copies of important documents or buy stuff that u need in that moment and you get in front of a close market and remember that probably you have to wait an hour or two to get your business done is not so great J. The streets are empty, there is no one around, the streets fell deserted but I have to give it to them that they have respect for their customs and nobody in the world, not even massive tourism is going to prevent them to enjoy their siesta what often means that they are going to take a nap. What I also like about Spanish culture is tapas. And when is the right time to go for tapas? After siesta, before going out to party!


As I was explaining before, one about the many experiences in Spain is going out for tapas. The history of tapas was always very interesting for me. It all started because of flies. Spanish people wanted to prevent that flies were flying into their beer, so they covered the beer with small plates. During time, they started putting small quantities of food on the plates. Pieces of bread, piece of ham, potatoes, meat, basically all types of food. A tapa is a quarter of the normal ration meal and normally u should get a free tapa with beer or a glass of wine but it depends on the place and city where you are going. In Málaga free tapas are normally olives, because they prepare them in a special way and olives are considered a very typical for this part of Andalucía. Málaga is suited in the center of Andalucía as I like to call it. That means that it has a great position when it comes to travelling. It is a good starting point for visit other towns such as: Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba, Gibraltar, Ronda and many more. I love Málaga because it has so many things to offer. Natural parks like Rio Chillar that makes you feel like you are in the middle of the mountains and the best thing about it is that all the time you a walking in a river, so you are walking in water that gets sometimes even over your knees.


Málaga is also known for its gastronomy but people mostly go out for tapas because they are cheap. A tapa with beer is around 1, 50€ - 2, 50€. But in Málaga there is no such thing as student meals so if you want to have a culinary experience you can get one at full price. There are all kinds of restaurants in the city but you have to be careful that you don’t get burned. One of my experiences with Spanish restaurants was that I ordered home-made sausages prepared with a special recipe of the house (this was the English translation in the menu) and got a huge plate with a few slices of salami at a very high price. From that moment on I always consulted the waiter concerning my order. Students often like to go to 100 montaditos where everything you order comes at a price of 1 euro. Also the Sureña is very popular where you can get 5 little beers for 5€ and a special offer two tapas at the price of one. 

Concerning accommodation in Málaga you have to be careful because a lot of people want to exploit young foreign students. A lot of landlords have their own policy. Normally you have to pay a bail of the same amount of money as one month rent. One of them wanted that I pay a double bail and for two months in advance without signing any contract – it has occurred that landlords don’t give the bails back even if everything is all right when the student left the flat. Also you have to pay attention if the landlord gives you a contract for a long time, like 6 months, read it carefully, because it has also occurred that some students because of the circumstances had to leave the flat the landlord kept the bail, because you broke your contract even if you found a replacement – another person to live in the flat. A lot of people lost a one month rent money that way. There are a lot of advertisements all over the city about flats, but the best way to find a flat is joining groups on facebook like Malaga Erasmus, Erasmus flats or visit websites like www.compartopiso.com and go and check the apartment before making any arrangements. Because a lot of times nothing is the way it seems ;-). The prices for rooms go from 200€ - 250€ with or without costs, everything above 250€ is considered expensive.

One thing what you have to know about Málaga is that Málaga is a party city. There are diferent theme parties every day that are organized by different organizations like Erasmusic, Esn, Timetoparty Málaga and others. Even if you decide to go out on your own almost every night there are different parties for different kind of taste. The prices depend where you go and witch day you come. If it is an Erasmus party the prices are low, but normally every drink, it doesn’t matter what you drink comes up to 7€. In Spain I have learned that Slovenian prices for alcohol are very low.


Transport in Málaga is very well organized. There are busses at every 10 – 20 min, you get the monthly ticket for 27€. The train is also a very fast and cheap transport if you would like to visit places nearby Málaga. I don’t recommend it for long trips.

Costs of food and alcohol are almost the same as in Slovenia. Things like meat, cheese, pršut can be very expensive, other things like bread, vegetables and fruit can be very cheap. The scholarship is defenetly not enough if you want to live this lifetime experience and discover the destination that you have choosed.

Spain is really incredible. There is something about it that makes you want to come back. Unfortunately the crisis has its impacts. A lot of Spanish people asked me why didn’t I choose a wealthy country like Germany or Great Britain. I don’t regret my decision and I would do it all over again if I had the chance. I hope that my request that I can continue experiencing this great country will be approved. Because the real fun and real learning about tourism starts in warmer months like March. Did I mention that I had 20 degrees on new years eve? ;-)

The Erasmus experience is the best experience I had in my life and I would recommend it to everybody, because it is an experience and opportunity of a lifetime. Meeting new people, getting to know different countries, different possibilities, different mentalities, new options. This is Erasmus. Don’t miss it!!

"Chicos, si teneís alguna preguntita,póngase en contacto con migo sin ningún duda!!!!"

Katja Darovec
katja.darovec@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Naturist beaches / swinger fun & friends, Malaga / Nerja area Spain?
    What to do in Malaga

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous!! I would like to be there with all of you, sad face :(

    ReplyDelete